Tuesday 16 September 2014

Down To The Specifics

On this drab September day as I drive home from the supermarket, I notice a couple, each with an ice cream in their hand, and not only was I perplexed as to why they were eating such a thing on a grey day like today, but I was also puzzled at how this far into my blog I haven’t yet shared the specifics on what I actually eat on a daily basis. Having just been for my grocery shop, I thought now would be a good time to shed some light on this.

Although my palate may seem as drab as the dreariness of today’s weather, given that I tend to eat the same food day to day, it’s the easiest, most cost-efficient way of eating what you need, not necessarily what you want. If there’s one thing I’ve tried to make clear about nutrition up to this point, it’s that food should be seen as the sustenance that it is, not a pastime! Having said this though, I think my palate is actually rather vibrant both in the rich colour of the foods I buy, and the downright tastiness of how they turn out cooked into one hearty meal. It is possible to cook a plate of food that’s both nutritious and absent of anything artificial, no matter how much those sweet-craving tastebuds may try and fool you!

















Granted this isn’t my full weekly shop, I tend to go to the supermarket intermittently throughout the week to keep my food fresh, as a lot of what I buy is fruit, vegetables and meat which of course is the last thing you would want to eat past its use by date! So I buy my groceries here and there rather than in one bulk.

Here you can see I literally have a mixed bag, which as I said before is crucial because you want to get your nutrients from as many food groups as possible. And don’t twist my words here, you know what I mean - chocolates and biscuits are not food groups! Protein, carbohydrates, unsaturated fats, fruit, vegetables and some dairy are all important and reduce the risk of you depriving your body of any one of these essential nutrients.

For me the milk is one of the most important ingredients I buy, as it is very versatile by being able to go with many of the meals I eat. It can be mixed with the shakes I have post-workout, and put in with porridge for breakfast as a more appetising alternative to water (which, personally, I hate with my oatmeal) and of course, it’s common to just drink milk on its own. It’s a convenient way of both hydrating and providing your body with the calories and nutrients it needs - this is also why I go for the semi-skimmed milk because I can meet my own calorie needs. Feel free to choose the milk you most enjoy, however, or if you don’t like milk or are lactose intolerant there are of course alternatives such as almond milk for instance, which even I have additionally to the dairy milk (as in cow’s milk, not the Cadbury bars!). The yogurt accounts for much the same, but unlike milk it’s of course more for eating than drinking, so it mixes well with fruit for a nice, light snack, with which I usually have the raisins you can also see in the picture (the green packet).

Aside from the dairy, today I also bought some red potatoes, kidney beans, 100 percent orange juice, a ribeye steak, onions, peppers, and Dove care body wash for men, because smelling as fresh as your food tastes is just as important for maintaining a healthy body and mind! That, or I just forgot to take it out of the bag before I took a picture of what was just supposed to be my groceries!

The kidney beans are also quite flexible in their usability, and so I find myself cooking these for various meals from a tuna salad sandwich to a hearty autumn / winter turkey chilli - with which I’d also have the peppers and onions I bought today too. The ribeye steak is more of a treat as I only have red meat on occasion, instead favouring poultry or fish which is more beneficial to your health. With this I tend to have some delicious roasted red potatoes which I season with a dash of sea salt, pepper and herbs and spices. Lastly, the orange juice I buy is 100 percent juice. I have this over squash for the obvious reason of it being untouched by added sugars. I tend to have this in the morning with my oatmeal.


There is no magic pill or specific ingredient you’ve never heard of - much of the food I buy is as simple as you’d imagine a healthy diet to look like. The difference is the unnatural foods you must cut out if you are to see these nutritious meals take effect and get you the results you want from a healthier lifestyle. The less processed an item of food is between it having been picked from a tree, out of the ground, or from the sea, and put onto your local supermarket shelves, the better. If your diet is packed full of purely whole foods with nothing artificial added, you’d have to try really hard to go wrong! Just take notice of how often you eat your food (every two to three hours is best), and eat five to six small / medium meals a day depending on your individual needs as far as calories are concerned and the target weight / goals you have. Just stay focused, keep motivated, and carry on moving forward, and the results will come in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment